Yumeng Week #1: Behind My Scenes
“What do you do in the play?” My go-to answer is, “I’m in the running crew!” Very rarely, I’d say, “I’m AHSPA’s Assistant Props Master, and I help manage the running crew, props, and work closely with our Stage Managers and Director!”
Admittedly, sometimes when I tell people what I do in theater, they look uninterested. However, I do understand that when theater is brought up, what happens behind the scenes isn’t always something most people focus on. Consequently, it’s common for people to overlook what backstage crew does, but I still never felt the need to justify my position. To me, it’s always been clear that my role as AHSPA’s Assistant Props Master is a title that I love and cherish, and there hasn’t been a moment where I regretted spending my falls and springs in the theater.
I don’t believe that the small talk word limit or even a long, deep midnight conversation can ever fully measure the love I get to experience everyday in theater. The chaotic giggles we can’t contain while both crew and cast are trying to fit into the frame of one MacBook Photo Booth as a real show is happening on stage; the excitement me and my Head Props Masters feel, as we are counting down the days until we see our crew for the new production; the laughter from all the dumb videos we made in a hotel room the night before a Lenaea competition, and the bittersweet tears in the girls dressing room during closing night.
From my freshman year to my junior year, theater has shaped and morphed me into the person I am today. Everybody from crew to cast to orchestra’s passion and personality inspired me and gave me a new perspective.
Theater, more specifically Theater 70, behind my scenes has always and forever been something special to me. A type of special words will never be able to be expressed, even now as I am writing this blog!
Comments
Post a Comment